Maya leaves Israel to study astronomy at the University of Virginia, running from the violence, guilt, and memories of her past. As the narrative switches between Virginia and Israel, we learn about Maya’s life as a soldier, her ambiguous devotion to Israel, and her love for her boyfriend, Dov, who is tragically killed in a suicide bombing. Now, in Virginia, amid the day-to-day pressures of classes, roommates, and fraternity parties, Maya attempts to reconcile her Israeli past with her American future.
- ALA Best Book for Young Adults
- Virginia Reader's Choice
- New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age
- Texas High School Summer Reading List book
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers
- Tayshas Book
- Sydney Taylor Book of Notable Jewish Content
- Teddy Children's Book Award
Reviews are the way readers find books. If you enjoy Light Years, I hope you'll consider leaving a review on Amazon, Goodreads, or Barnes and Noble. It really makes a difference. Thanks!